About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers' homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here
blog for more information.
About the Role
The Global Social Marketing & Extension Lead will lead the design, testing and scaling of farmer training and communications, drawing from human-centered design methodologies and other qualitative and quantitative research methods. You'll report to the Director for Agricultural Research, and work within the Global Impact team. This team combines agronomy, data science, SBC and social marketing skillsets to support One Acre Fund programs across several countries to develop better products, services and recommendations, and deliver these to farmers in ways that maximise the chances of successful uptake. Your focus will be to develop training and SBCC interventions that maximise both field team ownership and farmer uptake of climate-smart and regenerative agriculture recommendations. Often you'll generate insights on how those recommendations can be adjusted to better match farmers' realities and enable increased uptake.
- Content development - convert technical recommendations from agriculture, meteorology and data science experts into simple, adoptable recommendations that smallholder farmers will remember and be motivated to implement
- Create wireframe training and communications interventions. Test and improve the effectiveness of these through design workshops and piloting with extension workers and farmers.
- Develop extension strategies that integrate print, audio, digital and in-person training and communication channels to maximise reach and cost-effectiveness.
- Generate design specifications and collaborate with designers and media producers to ensure that final products meet requirements and are cost-effective.
- Define indicators to monitor the quality of training strategy implementation and generate recommendations for improvement.
- Evaluate the impact of training interventions using a variety of methods, such as surveys, interviews, observation. Use these data to capitalise on opportunities to improve recommendations and their delivery.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You'll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You'll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look
for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 3+ years of experience developing and testing rural extension interventions, preferably in a smallholder agriculture setting in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Strong understanding of adult learning theory, instructional design principles and SBCC.
- Experience designing and implementing research to understand user needs, develop training interventions, and test their effectiveness (ideally using HCD approaches), working across language and culture barriers
- Project management experience
Housing allowance, Retirement benefit, Comprehensive Health cover, Child Benefit and paid time off
- Connect and collaborate with engaging colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- The opportunity to expand into new focus areas or teams through a robust Internal Transfer Program
- Access to Social Committee activities that keep colleagues engaged and connected
One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred.
17 July 2023
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization's mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.