Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Laboratory Technician
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi
Vacancy Notice N°: VN_2023_BI10_04
Classification : General Service Category, G4
Type of Appointment : One Year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 March 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations and as the leading UN agency
in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental
partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does
so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for
migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration
issues; encourage social and economic development through migration and uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) and the direct technical supervision of the Regional Laboratory Specialist, the
incumbent will be responsible for technical support to laboratory services with respect to Migration Health Assessments (HAP) and other programmes implemented by the IOM Migration Health Division in country Bujumbura, Burundi.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Perform laboratory procedures as assigned by the laboratory supervisor for preexamination, examination, and post-examination activities through the use of the standard relevant equipment.
2. Ensure standards and the quality of laboratory procedures by strictly following the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
3. Adhere to bio-safety measures adopted in the laboratory, minding the safety of oneself and others.
4. Organize and operates activities on assigned station for accurate, efficient and timely delivery of results.
5. Perform quality control activities for assigned stations and document results as required.
6. Facilitate in maintenance of laboratory equipment in good working order and operate equipment appropriately following SOPs.
7. Facilitate in laboratory stock management and monitor that the equipment and consumables are sufficient for the anticipated work.
8. Facilitate to maintenance of established system of organized record keeping and information management for timely delivery of results, data collection, analysis and reporting for laboratory monitoring and facilitation to operational research.
9. Participate in the development and updating of SOs as needed.
10. Participate in the improvement of service system according to adopted work plan in the laboratory.
11. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Completed bachelor’s degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution in Medical (Clinical) Laboratory Sciences, Microbiology, or a related discipline.
• At least two years (with bachelor’s degree) or four years (with diploma) of relevant laboratory experience in a busy institution, preferably in a laboratory.
• Relevant technical knowledge and practices to personnel and laboratory operations.
• Computer literate with understanding of accurate data collection and analysis for monitoring and continuous improvement of laboratory services and performances; and,
• Good awareness of the laboratory role in health systems, optional use of resources for quality and efficient services delivery.
• Training and experience in TB, HIV, STDs, and other communicable diseases testing is an added advantage.
• Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
• Good knowledge of clinical care especially in the Primary or secondary Health Care settings.
• Good communication skills and proven ability in working in a team.
• Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, multitask, prioritize and manage time.
• French and Kirundi are required.
• Knowledge of Swahili is an advantage
REQUIRED VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com latest 30 March
In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to the Chief of Mission,
International Organization for Migration (IOM) and with a subject line “VN_2023_BI10_04 Laboratory Technician”.
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile numbers, copy of national ID card and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
From 16 March 2023 to 30 March 2023